[kj] Buzzcocks learn from the Joke?

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 1 00:51:03 EDT 2010

Every year there's Chaos in Tejas and countless other punk fests that
play "real punk" in the USA.

I am against this idea that good music stopped being made after 1993, or
1975 as my mom and her generation seemed to think. That they lost touch
isn't my fault. 2 years ago I mentioned that Leatherface headlined at
Chaos in Tejas and a lot of people couldn't believe me that they were
still around and playing, 'til I posted the video
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L9vzjK5HDA>. When I post actual,
contemporary punk bands here, like The Complications, they get called
"podunk no-name bands." (*looks solemnly to fluw*) Because all the good
music that means anything was made when we were in our teens, and young
people today were born too late, and are missing out because back in the
day it was so much better.....

Obviously I love bands like Killing Joke or I wouldn't be here, but
there is a tendency I've noticed among the 30- or 40-something set to
believe that there's nothing good or new under the sun nowadays - and
all such critics seem to look to are bands like Aiden and AFI or My
Chemical Romance, who do suck - and conclude it was all better back in
the nostalgia days, a la Minor Threat's "Salad Days."

-Oliver