[kj] O.T. Gang of 4

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Wed Sep 23 14:32:02 EDT 2009

Well, organizing and financing a tour across the US can be initimidating to bands from a country slightly smaller than my home state. I used to live in Fargo, ND and it was Paris compared to to some of the further-flung cities in the hinterlands like Bismarck or Rapid City. It's not like you can catch a train back from Kearney, NE after a gig. Lots of European groups would like to play nothing more than East Coast / West Coast with a stop in Chicago, but getting across flyover land costs big money.

US bands have a hard enough time touring cross-country; I remember a show Yo La Tengo played in my fave college bar in Moorhead, Minnesota (across the river from Fargo) and Ira spent the entire evening commenting how this was the first time they'd played Montana...

Speaking of, I've noticed a rash of cancellations here recently, most citing the economy or Visa problems, including Blue Nile, Godfathers, Eddy Grant, Maximo Park, Dolores O'Riordan etc. et. al.