[kj] NIN Final Show

The Mighty TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Fri Sep 11 15:27:03 EDT 2009

I hadn't planned on seeing NIN's final show at The Wiltern last night. I'd
caught the Palladium show last week which they played the entire Downward
Spiral album and that really was enough for me. Tickets for this final long
sold out show were very tough to get even for hundreds of dollars (evens
thousands) on the secondary market. But I happened to be checking out the
official website yesterday morning and happened to score a single ticket
when they released a handful of tickets.

Hearing that a massive line was already forming in the morning, I went ahead
and finished my personal stuff up as quickly as possible and managed to get
to the Wiltern around 3pm. The line had already grown to easily over 1,000
people (The Wiltern holds about 2,500) and I wasn't even sure I'd be able to
get down on the floor. Over the next few hours as they finally (and very
slowly) started handing out tickets and separate wristbands for the pit (the
first couple hundred in line got in the pit) floor and balcony, the
afternoon sun was just merciless. Some of the people who'd been there
overnight looked really fried. Luckily, far back in line as I was, I still
got a floor wristband. Comedy moment of the afternoon had to be the huge
restroom line in the Ralphs supermarket next to The Wiltern - looked pretty
funny with all these goths, rockers, etc waiting to take a piss while
shoppers were trying to buy stuff around them.

Anyway, once I got in around 7:45, I found a great spot on the far right
behind the small VIP/Handicap section just behind the pit. The only down
side so far was I couldn't meet a couple friends - we just kept missing each
other. The opening band "IO Echo" was decent but nothing memorable. About 15
minutes before NIN came on, a slew of celebrities including Eddie Van
Halen(!), David Bowie, Rick Rubin, Tony Hawk and Ron Jeremy (that dick seems
to be at every LA area concert these days) were seating in the first row of
the balcony to loud cheering.

The single merch booth in the lobby was mobbed right away and the nice
looking wine colored "Wiltern" tour shirts were gone before NIN even came
on.

Just before the show started, several people including some douchebag snuck
into the VIP area directly in front of me and stood there the whole show
making it tough for several short girls near me to see the stage. The guy
would even step in front of wheelchair-bound people blocking everyone who
was seat-bound's view.

NIN started around 9:15 with a solid version of "Home," a bonus track off
the "With Teeth" import cd. The sound was impeccable. The bass was like a
gut punch, really solid and clear - I've always said The Wiltern has the
best sound of any LA area venue and this show was the best sound I've ever
heard at The Wiltern. Really loud but crystal clear. I actually think many
of the songs in the set were played specifically to take advantage of the
Wiltern's excellent sound system and acoustics.

Things really didn't start to go off until 4th song "Discipline" and
especially "March of the Pigs." I have to say, the crowd seemed really
respectful of the quieter moments but really got into the more aggressive
songs. The pit was fairly mellow because of the strict "no-moshing" posted
policy but at times, especially in the last third of the show when the stage
got trashed, some people were going off without being hassled by security.
One really fucking weird part of the show was a trio of muscle-bound guys
led by this one steroid-loaded dude who looked like he was having a bad acid
trip in the isle next to the VIP section who spent the show flexing, pulling
their hair and grabbing each other in very disturbing ways.

For basically the first half of the show, it was just about all deeper cuts
from the albums released in the last 10 years. When David Bowies old piano
player Mike Garson joined the band for several songs off "The Fragile" album
which led into an extended piano jam, it was getting clear many in the
audience were kind of reaching their tether and you could here a few
hecklers amidst the generally quiet crowd. Next we had a 3 song set with
Gary Numan who'd appeared at all the previous LA shows the past week and
frankly, that was a piss break for me. For me, Numan's the kind of artist I
originally liked a couple songs of from 25 years ago, and I got my Numan fix
at the Palladium show last week. Everyone had been expecting a Bowie
appearance (really, all tour long) but I guess he was content enough to
watch the show from side stage.

The show then kicked into a higher gear with a brace of more aggressive
songs culminating in the usual end-of-show pairing of "hits" The Hand That
Feeds and Head Like A Hole which made some think this was the end of the
show. Actually this led into another full hour of music featuring an
increasing number of guest musicians such as Jane's Addiction's Dave
Navarro, Atticus Ross and others. This led into the final 6 songs which was
a well-thought out selection that clearly invoked 9/11 and ended touchingly
with "In This Twilight."

Overall, the was a epic, marathon day and show I've seldom experienced.
Completely different from last week's Palladium show. Nearly 40 songs, over
3 1/2 hours. The perfect venue, perfect sound, great spot with perfect
sightlines. I'm sore as fuck today with a raging headache but it was worth
it. I will say I preferred the Palladium show setlist-wise and in some ways
last night's show was marked more by what wasn't played then the fact it was
thematically focused on albums from the past 10 years vs the first 10 years.

Still, I caught the last NIN show. Fuckin' A.

The setlist:

1. "Home"
2. "Somewhat Damaged"
3. "The Collector"
4. "Discipline"
5. "March Of The Pigs"
6. "Something I Can Never Have"
7. "The Frail"
8. "The Wretched"
9. "Ruiner"
10. "Head Down"
11. "Burn"
12. "Just Like You Imagined" (featuring Mike Garson)
13. "La Mer" (featuring Mike Garson)
14. "Eraser" (featuring Mike Garson)
15. "The Becoming" (featuring Mike Garson)
16. "Down In The Park" (featuring Gary Numan)
17. "Metal" (featuring Gary Numan)
18. "I Die: You Die" (featuring Gary Numan)
19. "1,000,000"
20. "Letting You"
21. "Survivalism"
22. "Suck"
23. "Down In It"
24. "The Hand That Feeds"
25. "Head Like A Hole"
26. "Me, I'm Not" (featuring Atticus Ross)
27. "The Warning" (featuring Atticus Ross and Dave Navarro)
28. "Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)" (featuring Atticus Ross and Dave
Navarro)
29. "Gave Up" (featuring Dave Navarro)
30. "Mr. Self Destruct" (featuring Greg Puciato and Ben Weinman)
31. "Wish" (featuring Dillinger Escape Plan)
32. "Atmosphere"
33. "Dead Souls"
34. "The Good Soldier"
35. "The Day The World Went Away"