[kj] OT: D.A.F/The Beat

Neil Perry 65snoopy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 10:48:03 EDT 2009

Hi Jamie
Yes I saw them - and it was a great gig.
I wasn't sure what to expect - for a start, the venue was one of those
'could be great, could be shite'
ideas - a small outdoor skatepark! But it is half built underneath a road
bridge and sort of sealed
in, and a small stage has been put in under there. The entire place is
covered in years' worth of
murals/grafitti etc, as you'd expect of a scuzzy skatepark, so it looks the
part. A makeshift bar
had been set up at the rear of the place and the sound was superb, which was
the biggest shock -
thought it was going to be terrible but I don't know, maybe all that curved
concrete helps..?

Anyway the crowd was a great and bizarre mix - rudeboys, a posse of
anarchist punks,
middle aged couples, stoner hippies, a gang of little kids, everyone having
a great time. Seeing a bunch of perfectly dressed
Norwegian skinheads - cherry red docs, harringtons, the whole thing - all
dancing and singing along to 'Stand down
Margaret!' was one of the highlights of my gig-going year!

They did a good ska'd up version of 'Rock The Casbah' and all the faves -
does Rankin Roger's son
always sing with them? He was excellent - almost as good as his old man.
And all about 10 minutes walk from my flat (so I really had no excuse not to
go...)
Well glad I went anyway!