[kj] fully ON topic - new tracks

The Mighty TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Thu Oct 8 11:27:57 EDT 2009

Alexander Smith wrote:

Nothing lamer than quoting one's own interview, but from back in `04:

ALEX: It seems Killing Joke are often lazily tagged as a Punk band. There
are several Punk compilations that feature “Wardance” or “Eighties”. It
seems to me that Killing Joke are so much MORE than just simply a Punk band…
BPF: Well exactly, and I’m never quite sure whether to be offended by that
or not, because, I loved Punk music, but we weren’t. And I think our
influences were beyond Punk. Obviously before Punk, there was Led Zeppelin,
Black Sabbath and there was Yes even and King Crimson, and those had all
influenced me as a player, and the other guys would say other things, but I’m
sure they were all part of their history as well. I know Geordie was really
influenced by Van Halen.
ALEX: Really?
BPF: Maybe I shouldn’t say that, but I’d never heard Van Halen until Geordie
played it. And AC/DC. So, for us to be called a Punk band – yes, we came
from that era, but we weren’t just about jumping up and down and spitting
and three chords. We really wanted to create something that was really,
really heavy and dramatic and life changing.

That doesn't make KJ a metal band per se, but there are certainly metal
elements to their sound.

Heh, I wonder if Geordie was specifically into the Roth era or Hagar era?

There's some elements in Eddies later playing on the F.U.C.K. album and
especially on the '94 "Balance" album that certainly draw some comparisons
to KJ and especially Geordies early 90's style. Of course, you have to
consciously tune out Sammy Hagar's inane lyrics but listening to songs like
"The Seventh Seal" and "Learning to See," there's definite comparisons
between the two bands and guitarists.

T.B.