[kj] fully ON topic - new tracks

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 8 07:00:45 EDT 2009

Nothing lamer than quoting one's own interview, but from back in `04:

ALEX: It seems Killing Joke are often lazily tagged as a Punk band.
There are several Punk compilations that feature “Wardance” or
“Eighties”. It seems to me that Killing Joke are so much MORE than
just simply a Punk band…

BPF: Well exactly, and I’m never quite sure whether to be offended by
that or not, because, I loved Punk music, but we weren’t. And I think
our influences were beyond Punk. Obviously before Punk, there was Led
Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and there was Yes even and King Crimson, and
those had all influenced me as a player, and the other guys would say
other things, but I’m sure they were all part of their history as
well. I know Geordie was really influenced by Van Halen.

ALEX: Really?

BPF: Maybe I shouldn’t say that, but I’d never heard Van Halen until
Geordie played it. And AC/DC. So, for us to be called a Punk band –
yes, we came from that era, but we weren’t just about jumping up and
down and spitting and three chords. We really wanted to create
something that was really, really heavy and dramatic and life changing.

That doesn't make KJ a metal band per se, but there are certainly
metal elements to their sound.

Alex in NYC