[kj] Lokerse "Requiem" dvd/cd

The Mighty TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Wed Oct 7 17:36:26 EDT 2009

Had a big KJ score today - finally picked up the "Gathering 2008" 4 cd set, which probably makes me the last person on this list to finally hear the shows. Also picked up the "Requiem" 2003 live cd/dvd set which is what I'll comment about here since that's what I watched and listened to this afternoon.

First off, the '03 tour holds a special place in my heart as it's when my interest in the band was reignited after pretty much giving up on them in the early 90's. This set's a mixed bad, imo.

The sound is straight off the mixing desk with virtually no crowd noise even between songs. Which is further hampered by the fact on the cd there's fade ins/outs between most tracks further chopping out Jaz's comments. In fact, overall the sound and the band sound a bit too "perfect" compared to any bootleg of thsi tour I've heard as well as the one show I caught in '03. I dunno if there's any studio re-recording done on this, but it sounds even tighter and cleaner than the "Duendes" cd. On the plus side, taken as it is, the sound, the songs and the band sound really good here. However, imo the dvd, especially the stereo 2 channel mix is much louder and more direct than the cd stereo mix. The 5.1 mix on the dvd has too much plate echo, especially on Jaz's voice.

The dvd from a video standpoint is almost unwatchable unfortunately. The producers used all sorts of monotone effects so the color is usually like watching a b/w program with the blue cranked way up. Plus there's often really crappy effects and text overlayed on the video. Much of the footage is long shots showing the whole stage - the camera work is utterly boring.

IMO, listening to the cd is enough for this show. I'm still happy with the release though, at least I got the key songs from the '03 album/tour on an official release finally.

T.B.