[kj] OT-ish: Top 10 Conspiracy Theories (one of Jaz's faves is on here)

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat May 30 22:18:51 EDT 2009

Yeah, he discredited himself pretty well by manipulating the results of some
of those studies to show what he wanted etc, and I for one pay no attention
to what he has to say anymore. He potentially deserves kudos for raising
consciousness of the issue, but who here isn't dubious as to his reasons for
that? Dunno.but I don't trust him. Big fuck off house and fleet of cars.bah.

It has to be said, no one has come close to the misrepresentation in 'The
Great Global Warming Swindle' - Google or Wiki that if you're interested.
Unbelievably they keep / kept on playing that one in the UK despite all the
protests from the scientists on it who came out to say they were
misrepresented. It had me fooled for as long as it took to check it out on
the Internet.

If you want the real deal you need to go to scientists who work in the
field, have no ulterior motives (funding doesn't depend on groups that have
vested interests either way), and preferably (rarely) whose work isn't
filtered by media or politicians. Richard Dawkins' work is some of the best
written, persuasive, funny & well reasoned stuff I've ever read. It would
only be harmed by being filtered through a politician's or journalist's
lens. Read 'The Blind Watchmaker' and tell me you don't feel like you're
listening to one of the most intelligent and aware individuals who ever put
pen to paper.

Revolution - hrm. I always had the idea that if there was any system sitting
in the wings ready to revolutionise civilisation, it could start small but
by virtue of inherent efficiency, fairness, increase in standard of living
for all participants etc, quickly spread around the world. I think the
Internet is an enabling factor in that, because it means any movement can,
to some extent, transcend national and political boundaries. In terms of
beating ourselves up about our lack of progress.all of the things holding us
back are what got us here in the first place, aggression, self interest,
tribal mentality, the male role of hunter / warrior, sanctioned & prepared
by society to go out and kill and die etc. It's hardly going to change in a
few hundred years.

I reckon this sums up conspiracy theories pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZjfYKV8C6g

_____