[kj] Play dead

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Fri May 1 05:55:33 EDT 2009

Multimedia programs do in a sense fight each other, insofar as the file
associations contention. Windows keeps a list of which programs to use to
open particular file types...so by default when you double-click that kind
of file, Windows will know what to do with it (open .doc files with M$
Word for example...).

Many multimedia apps ask you when you install them if you want to
associate the application with ALL multimedia types (that it is compatible
with)...such as mp3 / mp4, avi, wmv, flac, playing DVDs etc etc (there's
loads of formats) and it's easy to overlook this setting when zipping
through the install screens. I recently did a full install of the software
that came with my DVD burner and it included a flaming media player
(Nero), on top of all the other ones I have...as if I needed another one
FFS...

Can become a bit messy after a while as well, once you have several
applications on your PC that aim to do the same thing, some of which will
attempt to load automatically when your PC starts, automatically update,
and many of which share core Windows system files & settings(dlls etc).

Good rule of thumb is to pick a decent one that covers most bases and
ignore the others. You probably don't need Quicktime on a Windows PC for
example, avi files can be opened in VLC or Win Media Player. (And good
luck if you're brave enough to use iTunes - we hates it precious ;p)

If you want to change the file associations let me know, or Google it if
you want, there's multiple ways to do it, pretty standard on Windows from
2000 on. Or you can simply re-install the player you want to use and let
it reclaim the associations.

The less programs you have on Windows the quicker it goes and less messy
it gets, generally.