[kj] Play dead

Bo Krogsgaard bo.krogsgaard at gmail.com
Fri May 1 03:57:29 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Stephen Lawrence <stephen.l at live.com> wrote:

> thanks brendan i think i might have problem with the codec as i can't play

> wma files ....actually i deleted it when jo said she couldn't help me

What version of Media Player are you using? In the old days, Microsoft
distributed the codecs separately, but now those redistribution packs
are (apparently) only available to developers. However, they CLAIM
that if you upgrade Media Player, you get the latest codec bundle as
well:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx

Alternatively, if you feel adventurous you could grab either smplayer
(my personal fave) or vlc (equally good). At least i know for sure
that the "extra codecs" pack for smplayer supports both WMA and WMV
version 9.