[kj] Reformation

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 20:36:31 EDT 2009

One of the main reasons why Gilmour is favourably compared to Waters is because the material created by Gilmour/Wright/Mason version of Pink Floyd was considerably better than Roger Waters' solo stuff. Waters was a major part of Floyd, and is certainly the main reason why The Wall is an incredible album, but without the assistance of Gilmour, Wright and Mason, he has produced hardly anything worth hearing. Post-Waters Pink Floyd isn't perfect, but I'd rather listen to A Momentary Lapse of Reason over any of Roger Waters' solo album. I haven't heard a great deal of Gilmour's solo stuff but 'There's No Way Out Of Here' is an amazing tune that Floyd would have done well.

Since neither of them have been at their peak since the split, I maintain they complimented each other fantastically in Pink Floyd (something which Waters' giant ego didn't allow him to admit when he was busy trying to turn Floyd into his personal backing band).

Jim.