[kj] (OT) Sad Songs

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 27 11:41:09 EDT 2009

The Easy Cure. Hmm.

I first heard them when Peel played "Killing An Arab", and picked up the
first few singles. I don't imagine that one would get much radio play these
days, despite Camus &c. I consequently picked up the "3 Imaginary Boys"
album, and decided that I didn't like it very much; too self-consciously
spiky for me.

My dismissal of the Cure on that basis totally changed when I saw them do A
Forest on TOTP. I've bought everything (well, albums, at any rate) since.
But-

I really hate (and that's not too strong a word in this case) the kooky
Cure. Lovecats was an abomination, and I've long listened to playlists of
their albums with those tracks excised. The "please mother me as I'm just a
rather awkward adolescent really" songs get on my tits too, particularly as
Fat Bob now looks like an old lesbian - see Jonathan Ross appearance.

It took me a long time to "get" Disintegration. I was so excited when I read
that it would be another dark album, as my favourite Cure LPs are, in
ascending order, Faith, 17 Seconds and the absolute masterpiece that is
Pornography. So hearing Fascination Street prior to the album's release
really rather put me off. I highly rate more than half of it, though.

I'm pleased their period of sounding like New Order was brief (much as I
like New Order); I stopped going to their gigs after The Top tour, as that
was rubbish, until Disintegration - although they are one of the bands that
to me can overstay their welcome live; three hours is a bit much to run the
risk of getting spattered with No 7 makeup, and they are a ... bit samey.
Then I've seen them pretty much on each album's release. Last three albums
have been great. FB's a criminally under-rated guitarist, despite not being
able to even half-manage "Happy House" on Nocturne, and I like the longer
tracks where one can hear him being less overproduced and funky.

Three-quarters great band, then, a quarter embarrassingly awful.

Darren

Hungerford, UK