[kj] (OT) Sad Songs

J Casavola elipsis44 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:57:32 EDT 2009

I've been lucky to see the Joke twice! Met Colesy and bumped into Geordie and Bechdel, waiting at the doors of the venue in Seattle.

From: gregslawson at msn.com
To: gathering at misera.net
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:13:00 -0400
Subject: Re: [kj] (OT) Sad Songs

A friend of mine does a great Morrissey/Smiths impression (w/his voice exactly:"I'm so depressed and I want to die/and slit my wrists..."
BTW I think I know why the JOKE only tour the US every 10 years or so. I've seen them 4 times:
1981 (when they were as well known in the post-punk world as the Cure, Joy Division, etc) in Houston TexASS--there couldn't have been more than 30 people in the club (a small disco), but it was great seeing Jaz do his pantomime up close.
1990 or so in Boston, when MINOG was a minor radio hit--only 200 or so in the audience, and the band didn't seem to care either;
1994--great show, at the time that Millenium and Pandemonium were getting a little airplay, the same Boston club almost filled to capacity (several hundred), and great performances by Jaz in preacher garb, Youth in kilt and antlers...I loved the Exorcism coughing fit and LLB was amazing
2003--just after their 1st album in 7 years was released w/NO US airplay, again at a medium-sized Boston disco/punk club, an older, smaller (200?), somewhat apathetic audience, and such poor band clothing (spider suit?!!??), lighting, and sound that the show didn't make much of an impact despite Jaz's dripping makeup and drooling...
How can they finance these US tours w/such low (except for 1994) turnout and almost no radio airplay?
"You better do what you are told/better listen to the radio"
(Not a bit Elvis fan but he was right on that account)!