[kj] 'Doom drone" music?‏

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 00:58:31 EDT 2009

On Facebook I asked for some recommendations of "doom drone" bands, and
a really cool guy who's sent me mix CDs from England, also recommended
Sun 0))) and one other band. I mentioned that Robedoor sounded like what
I thought of as dark ambient. he said dark ambient had industrial
implications whereas doom drone was basically guitars but used in a way
that was atmospheric or something, then asked what Robedoor sounded
like. I said I realized they used guitars, cellos, analog instruments,
but played in a very atmospheric, "horror/suspense movie
soundtrack"-type way ... and that that is what I always thought dark
ambient was.

Like Current 93's Dogs Blood Rising. I put that on right before
Robedoor, it doesn't sound like a radically diferent type of music, both
very atmopsheric, cool, mood-setting, background-type music. I guess I
just don't get it.

-Oliver