[kj] Godflesh

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 20 17:08:14 EDT 2009

Hmm, everything I see says that Godflesh's "Streetcleaner" "overshadows"
their first release.

But I just got and am enjoying this first release on 12" vinyl. It is
lo-fi and dirty.

I like that, as opposed to polished stuff. Maybe that is why I like the
KJ "Duende: Spanish Sessions" release so much, too. It is pretty raw,
down-tuned guitars, chunky. I think it is pretty damn good, one of my
fave 2008 releases in retrospect now that I have heard it.

Bands that go for a slick production suck. Maybe this is why I also
think _Hosannas From the Basements of Hell_ is such a masterwork.
Totally old school sludgy goodness. And the title track is a d-beat song!

-Oliver