[kj] [OT] Spear Of Destiny

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 6 20:43:48 EST 2009

That's a great piece of writing, Alex. It made me dig out the CD and listen
to the track again.

Sadly, I still hear the same thing as I recalled. It's a hodgepodge of Bon
Jovi's "Wanted : Dead Or Alive" (to which the answer is clearly "Dead,
please"), horrible gated syn-drums and Pino Palladino-esque farting fretless
bass. I'm not sure I agree with your view that ToH were more portentous than
SoD either; the un Mick Jones versions of things like "Nero" are sleek and
menacing, whereas the silly SoD tracks are overblown and daft.

I absolutely get the connection with time & place to a song, though. I have
really unlikely associations with such varied fare as "Do You Believe" by
Gloria Mundi, "A Suicide" by dalek i love you, "Rubber Revolution" by (Keith
Hale's) Blood Donor, the Jesus Lizard's "Glamorous", Cop Shoot Cop's
"Ambulance Song", the Birthday Party's (well, ok, the Boys Next Door's)
"Death By Drowning" & "Dive Position" and "Learned It" by Girls vs Boys. Not
to mention King Crimson's "Starless".

Did you continue the series?

Darren

Hungerford, UK