[kj] [KJ] HellFest's Report

Frenchy Frenzy frenchyfrenzy at killingjoke.fr
Tue Jun 30 17:26:51 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Last week I’ve spent one of my best moments with the Joke.

Arrived early by plane, I had time to check in at The Mercure Hotel close to
the south railroad central station of Nantes city.

Immediately, I’ve noticed some full tattoed boys (unusual for this kind of
places) and recognised in the lounge area the singer of the Misfits Jerry
Only (very friendly)

I said to myself that other artists should have reservations by the
organization in the same hotel and ask the lady at the front desk “if Mister
Coleman had already checked in ?”

She answered : “not yet ;o))) Bingo

Last time in Paris sept 08, I was already in the same hotel as all the boys
(The Mercure at Porte de Pantin) and bumped into Youth coming out the
breakfast room
and the front desk man took a photo of both of us

Arrived in Clisson by train, a very nice little village, I was about to get
a pass at the VIP/ Guests tent but the young lady at the desk told me that
the group hadn’t arrived yet and that she didn’t got any list from the
group.

She added that last night “Mötley Crüe gave his list 5 minutes before their
gig at 1AM

That was 3:30 PM and I couldn’t even pay my ticket (as I do everytime to
support the group) because I needed an AAA Pass to use my videocameras
.

It took me 20 minutes to go to the Artists entrance where all the tour buses
and trucks are parked.

Of course there were many security controls and began to speak with one of
the guardian when 200 meters away from me I just noticed Jaz and Youth
walking to their bus.

I just began to shout “JAAAAAAAAZZZZZ as loud as I could because that was my
only chance to get heared considering the loudness of the death metal gig at
the moment very near.

By chance, they both heared my shouts and that was the 1st good point of the
day

As the guardian couldn’t let me in without the famous bracelet, Jaz had to
had never seen him before ha ha ha ) and gave me the precious yellow Artist
Bracelet’s which allowed me to go everywhere with my videocameras.

Would you ever imagine on single second Marilyn Manson doing the same thing
for one of his long time follower ?

Sure not : that’swhy they are awesome and unique !!

We spent some time in the Bus tour where I picked up from my bag the “brand
new Gathering 2008 boxset 4cds” just arrived by post the week before and was
surprised that they were astonished it had been released
.

Youth began to calculate the estimated royalties and finally signed on the
booklet “Where is the cash Matt ?,o)))

No comment, but it’s just incredible that the group is NOT informed of the
“official” release.

We went to the backstage area (in fact a big Sport Arena (surrounded by the
2 main stages and the rest of the site) very calm considering the loudness
outside.

I would say very well organized with many guardians checking all the famous
bracelets in 6 colours with different authorizations

Of course the yellow one is the ultimate ha ha ha

Jaz & Youth proposed me to follow them for an interview for french TV and it
was funny to see them with shorts and cigars like 2 cool tourists answering
the questions during ½ hour.

The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect, no rain predicted.

A wonderful atmosphere with the 2 main stages only separated with a big
screen; so every 5 minutes a group is playing and no wait between the
groups.

Everybody is on time and better has to, because the running order contains
107 groups in 3 days and no extended delay is allowed except for Motley,
Marilyn Manson and Manowar.

Saw a little bit of Soulfly (a lot of stage diving ;))) Amebix ( good
rhythmic groove) and Misfits (took some photos with Jerry backstage (a very
funny guy and easy to approach) and went eating before the second main act
of the day The Joke

I’ve found the best place to film the gig with my tripod, just in front of
the stage between Geordie & Jaz in the bouncers area.

As the stage was wide maybe 12 or 15 bouncers took place behind the barriers
and protected me from the potential stage divers.

OK there were less than for Soulfly or Gojira (a French Group who Big Paul
was enthusiastic about the rhythm section we saw together on the side of the
stage)

The weather was perfect and the light show was one of the best they got
(except for the Sheph’s in 2005) and they played a classical but perfect gig
for all the audience who acclaimed all the titles including Love Loke Blood
( which they didn’t want to play in the afternoon and maybe as I remembered
them that it was “their” hit in France and people were certainly expecting
it) Eighties , the Wait.

Everybody was in a good shape and Geordie played as if he was caressing his
guitar as usual and the groove injected by BPF and Youth is more and more
perfect.

Madness was very well acclaimed too and was not supposed to be played.

I said to them that I had “rediscovered” this track live on stage and maybe
they have listened to me.

Next time I will ask for my personal tracks list including Twilight Of the
Mortal which Jaz sang a little bit during the soundcheck at the Forum 08,
Slipstream, Universe B, Implant etc
;o)

I must say that the footages I got were the best ones I ever filmed because
there were closed to me and the lightshow was powerful and the result
delights me.

I must add here one thing : during the Heaven’s gig I gave a full hard disk
drive to the management containing all the 16 gigs and backstage &
soundchecks I’ve filmed and they “should” release some DVD’s

After the show I decided to have a look for 2 songs of Marilyn Manson (that
was enough ha ha ha) and got back inside for sharing all those delicious
cheeses and wines brought from my home town Lyon city.

In fact, I think that the boys during the day were a little bit focused on
their evening show and intended to deliver the best show they could.

I saw the difference after the show when they were much more relaxed and
ready for savouring Comté, Saint Marcellin and Saint Félicien, Saint Joseph
etc

Of course we had some fresh bread from the VIP Restaurant too

Everything was simply perfect and we were all delighted with all these
different saveurs.

Sharing this with them was like the time was suspended for 1 H ½
..All the 5
guys and myself with nobody else

After all, something very simple but a REAL moment with a lot of laughs.

For example, at one moment Vincent Raven came with the guys of Amebix and he
was
..I would say
stoned.

I said to Jaz : “Hey here is your driver who will drive you at your hotel ha
ha ha and we had a great laugh

Jaz said to Vincent : It’s like your father: you’ve got it in your DNA ;o)))

The room finally got some new invited people and I would say that the guys
from Amebix were very nice and they felt very honoured to be he Joke’s
guests and I saw ”gratitude and respect “in their eyes.

As It was 3 AM, we had to leave the Festival and an official small shuttle
drove us (Jaz & Me) to our hotel in Nantes.

In fact during 25 mins, there were so many roundabouts that Jaz was very
close to be ill in the car and me too ha ha ha !!

The day after I phoned Jaz in room 201 (I was in 211) at 10 AM and we went
to the breakfast room to get forces again

It was again a simple moment but unusual with Jaz as you can imagine.

We spoke about the gig, the happiness they all had playing again together
and the projects:

* Jaz is about to be honoured by France and will receive the Medal of
Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres in sept /oct 09 and they should play an
acoustic gig at Les Bains Douches where they played at their beginning(25th
of June 80)
* In fact he gave me a photo where he already has the famous medal but
ceremony will take place after

This info has been confirmed to me one week after by one of my friend who
works at the METRO newspaper.

Raven and him were reconciled before his death and he was about to come back
in the Joke, but there were no project with Atkins at all.

“Raven was from the family not him “

There are apparently 8 or 9 new songs written
.

They should record before end of year 200
.9 ;o))

One of his daughter has a restaurant in Geneva.

His cousin plays in the French group from Lyon City Le Peuple de l’Herbe
(people from the weed)

Of course the awaited gig in 2012
.

He is going to live in Paris soon and has another project concerning his
private life

Finally after a great shower (in our separate rooms of course ha ha ah ) we
met again and I helped him at the railroad station to get his electronic
ticket

Jaz and computers
.

It’s funny because his name was printed on the ticket much more unusual as a
signature

We said goodbye on the platform till our next “meeting” on the 31 th of july
2009 in Venice Italy and certainly a longer gig as they’ll play at the
Airport Festival as Headliner with only one group before.

So simply the best moments with the reunited Joke since some unforgettable
moments in Milano 2005 with Raven
.

Stephane “Frenchy Frenzy”

PS : Nantes is a beautiful city full of welcoming people too