[kj] OT: can anyone recommend software

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Tue Jun 23 13:16:31 EDT 2009

Can't help you with the beatmatching business, but cataloguing software is
something I've spent a long time investigating.

If you've a Mac, you're in luck. The best program I know is Delicious
Library <http://www.delicious-monster.com/> ; this not only allows you to
scan barcodes using a webcam or one of those incredibly cheap CopyCat
scanners and then downloads all the details from the net (in my experience,
with a large collection of obscure foreign DVDs, it recognises 95% of
whatever I throw at it), but the latest beta also allows you to synchronise
your catalogue with an iPhone. This is the Holy Grail for me; I used to use
a database on a PocketPC, as I needed to be able to carry it around with me
to record fairs, bookshops and the like to make sure I wasn't about to buy
anything I already had. You can also synchronise the details with Amazon,
and download current prices (I've on several occasions thought "shit! Is
that really worth that?" and put it up on Amazon to sell - from within the
software).

Windows is slightly less satisfactory, but I've had good experiences with
the products from Collectorz <http://www.collectorz.com/> ; although you
need to buy separate products or each type of article (DL does DVDs, books,
CDs, power tools &c) and the lookup is less reliable than DL. It will still
work with a cheapo barcode scanner, though.

This type of cataloguing is, in my view, essential for insurance purposes,
apart from anything else. If I should have occasion to need details of how
many Asian giallo DVDs, or Killing Joke 12" promos, or films with Peter
Coyote, it's now all in my phone.

In fact, even if there were no other advantages, Delicious Library and Logic
Studio would in themselves justify a Mac.

Darren

Hungerford, UK