[kj] (OT) Speaking of Goths

Pagan scotgothwitch at sky.com
Fri Jun 12 05:22:39 EDT 2009

Haven't been to WGW for a few years but a few thousand Goths taking over Whitby? Fantastic! The locals are really good too especially the shop/pub/cafe owners who deck out there places especially for it. The jet shops produce wee bat pendants and the Elsinore pub puts up huge "Home of the Goths" banners (unfortunately, I can't find my photo of it!). They love us because we bring money into the area off season and don't cause any bother - although you'll always get someone who takes exception to how we look and gives you either physical or verbal abuse for it. WGW itself is probably as much a social event, catching up with people as it is a music event.

Must admit I'd like to go this October as the line up includes Eden House and Adoration.

Weirdest experience in Whitby had to be the weekend it coincided with the Folk Music Weekend, when the Angel was a mixture of both groups and then on the Sunday the people for the Mod festival started to arrive! (Actually my weirdest was my beloved gran trying to feed a bit of gammon steak to a donkey near the Abbey but that's another story!)

Claire