[kj] OT: UK Decay

Antoni Adamiak pssyche23 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:04:53 EDT 2009

Well, hi there Aleph ... thanks for the star billing but I'm probably no more clued up on UK Decay than Darren and others on here but I guess I have my own opinions ... my own copy turned up yesterday and I've had a brief listen although currently I can't stop playing The Piranhas (the Brighton lot from 77-81) ... I've knocked up my own CD from the Punk Brighton website (http://www.punkbrighton.co.uk/piranh.html) which has their 3 John Peel sessions up plus a couple of extra tracks (Feel Queer When You Ain't Here/Things Could Be Worse) and from another source I downloaded MP3s of their excellent but sole Virgin single Space Invaders/Cheap 'n' Nasty (live) VS314 ... anyway, sorry I completely digress ... I thought UK Decay missed a trick with Death So Fatal which was an "odds and sods" CD ... some old demos, some John Peel session tracks, live recordings, some newly remixed versions etc etc ... the expanded For Madmen Only is pretty much spot on but (if space allowed) I would have also included the Fresh Records single Unexpected Guest/Dresden ... Unexpected Guest is different enough to the album version to warrant inclusion so maybe both tracks should have been on the earlier CD ... then also Twist In The Tale (B side of the Sexual single) although there was a '93 remix on Death, So Fatal so okay, maybe not ... but had there not been the earlier CD, I would have loved to see a CD released with the two Plastic Records singles (including the "split" Pneumania side as Spon was in the band so it has that UK Decay sound) even if ripped from an inferior source plus the two John Peel sessions in their entirety ... but alas, it was not to be though the For Madmen Only CD is certainly worth snapping up ... I'm not sure whether I'll get to see them play live this year but I hope at least they play one show in London ... but I am likely to be on a family holiday in the run up to the Rebellion Festival, which itself I will be missing ... UK Decay may play a warm up date or two ... and though I missed the infamous Chelsea vs Barca game to see Killing Joke play @ Heaven, Chelsea FC will be at Wembley Stadium on 9th August 2009 playing Man United in the FA Community Shield with the likelihood of tickets being £20 or so I'm afraid I won't be up in Blackpool for what promises to be an interesting Sunday ... decisions, decisions ... good to see day tickets now available for the Sonisphere Festival but, again, I may also be away on a family holiday over that weekend (not that we've actually boooked anything yet !!!)