[kj] [KJ] OT: Just check out the tribal drums &chiming guitar...

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 4 16:05:35 EDT 2009

Well, precisely -- I doubt anyone *other* than journalists were using
these terms in earnest. By the same token, I suppose said journalists
were faced with the dilemma of how to encapsulate certain sub-genres,
scenes, etc. It's just that "positive punk" could quite possibly be
the lamest tag of all time.

Let's remember that it was also the journos who came up with tags like
"goth," "shoegazer," "baggy" and the like.

"Straight Edge," meanwhile, was brought about by the bands themselves
(for whatever that's worth). Not sure who coined "Emo," but whoever
they are sure be pelted with bags of their own dung.

Alex in NYC