[kj] [KJ] OT: Just check out the tribal drums & chiming guitar...

MichaelHead at HBOSplc.com MichaelHead at HBOSplc.com
Thu Jun 4 10:44:27 EDT 2009

and surely Killing Joke & UK Decay?

________________________________

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of GREG SLAWSON
Sent: 04 June 2009 15:06
To: gathering
Subject: Re: [kj] [KJ] OT: Just check out the tribal drums & chiming guitar...

I think of it as bands that started around 1979, mostly in the UK, that changed around the original Ramones/Pistols sound of punk--bands like Gang of Four, Joy Division, etc.

> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 22:11:35 +1200

> From: bq at soundgardener.co.nz

> To: gathering at misera.net

> Subject: Re: [kj] [KJ] OT: Just check out the tribal drums & chiming guitar...

> Someone said to me a while ago that post-punk was the shittest imaginable

> genre of music. Big Soundgarden / Sonic Youth etc fan, whose opinion I

> would otherwise have given some credence.

> Made me wonder, what were they referring to as post punk (I didn't ask).

> What is the common element? Atonal dischordant fucking around with song

> structure, instrument mix, weird time sigs, emaciated pouty navel-gazing

> white kids bitching about the way other people dress and not having any

> libido (okay I'm making this up)...?

> Killing Joke doesn't seem to fit the moniker. And Bauhaus...I still

> haven't heard the track that makes me "get it," for all the adoration on

> the list. The stuff I've heard doesn't seem to have any grunt behind it.

> The Cure I'm a big fan of, PIL as well, but I still don't really know what

> post-punk means, is it a semi-useless term like punk or grunge?

> > Must confess that I never liked The Cult (though I remember some SDC and

> > thinking that they were quite good - never got round to buying anything

> > though).

> > The musical similarity with the Joke is pretty obvious (as Ade's subject

> > line says). The difference - to me - was that they seemed like a fairly

> > standard rock band (albeit playing post-punk music, whatever that

> > means). Whereas KJ were doing something else altogether.

> > Jamie

Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits. Check it out. <http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Storage?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_Storage_062009>

HBOS plc, Registered in Scotland No. SC218813. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. HBOS plc is a holding company, subsidiaries of which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.