[kj] (Very OT) Bruno - Autism

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 10 19:50:00 EDT 2009

Re: Tropic Thunder -- I thought the funniest part was the opening battle
scene, the opening fake movie trailers, and the scene in the clearing of
the forest where Ben Stiller was dangling the severed head in front of
the others.

But the prolonged joke in it about TiVo with Matthew McConnaughey and
some of the other stuff...it just got old and didn't click together, or
something. Borat, otoh, was surprisingly funny and even kind of had a
poignant social commentary to it if that gets anyone's rocks off.

The protest by some groups against Tropic Thunder was wayyyy overblown,
sort of like some groups' protests against Clint Eastwood's _Million
Dollar Baby_, which was actually an awesome movie. Some folks had a
problem with Million Dollar Baby because in it [SPOILER ALERT!!!!!]
Eastwood ends performing a euthanasia on a mentally disabled/handicapped
woman. I watched the movie and was surprised that anyone had a problem
with it. It was really touching, to me. I wanted to like Tropic Thunder,
to the extent of buying a special edition of it on DVD before even
watching it, but was disappointed. The "go full retard" comment is so
not worth the protest it got.