[kj] (Very OT) Bruno - Autism

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 10 19:02:29 EDT 2009

I was just commenting on Tropic Thunder. I don't know how bad Bruno is.

Tropic Thunder was just not funny, period, to my disappointment - except
for a few scenes. The main characters in Tropic Thunder were not good
people. They were set up as being quite idiotic, vain, superficial, real
doofuses - whose stupidity was supposed to be the butt of the movie's
joke. So when they said "going full retard," it was something really
stupid, portrayed as something only dumb people would think. (At least
that is what I took from it.)

Anyone who imitates their behavior, or thinks it is cool - well, that is
really odd.

About the Bruno thing, if it makes jokes at autistic folks' expense,
well, I agree, that is awful, and deserves criticism.

-Oliver