[kj] Antithesis of Killing Joke -- good catch

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Mon Jul 6 10:19:06 EDT 2009

I have many problems with the McKinnon case. I suspect the Asperger’s
diagnosis, despite not questioning Baron-Cohen’s judgment, to be a red
herring. I don’t see that Asperger’s is a de facto defence in any case, and
the timing of the diagnosis is ... erm ... fortuitous.

“I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels” was a very ill-advised
message for him to leave.

Having said that, the US frenzy to deport him is disproportionate, sinister
and alarming. I see a theoretical value in making an example of someone as a
general deterrent, but the arbitrary figure the US quote as being incurred
as a result of McKinnon’s incursions ($700,000) seems a tad high to pay for
their actually having to set passwords on users that they had previously
neglected to do. McKinnon was obviously not the greatest threat to world
security (he was traced as a result of miscalculating time zones, and
remotely controlling a terminal while someone was sitting in front of it.
Well, duh).

It’s odd that in the case of Richard Pryce, whose hacking from the UK was
described by the US as 'doing more harm than the KGB' and dubbed the 'No 1
threat to U.S. security', he ended up with a £1200 fine in the UK.

Unless there is more information the US are too embarrassed to reveal, it’s
obviously a stitch-up, but it’s disagreeable aligning myself with an
anti-extradition campaign endorsed by the Daily Mail and Sting.

Darren

Hungerford, UK