[kj] OT - MJ Conclusion

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Wed Jul 1 04:42:15 EDT 2009

Brendan,

Stephen said that he opted for a not-guilty verdict?because "there was an element of doubt".

You?replied (see below) that he should have?been "making a judgement based on
the weight of probability".

Given that we're on a Killing Joke mailing list rather than in a courtroom, I'd accept?his phrase as being equivalent to "beyond reasonable doubt"; yours is clearly equivalent to "the balance of probability".? So, in short, his comment was in line with the requirement for being a juror; yours was not.

I rather suspect that you picked up on it because you're in the middle of a disagreement with him, and it looked like an opportunity to make him look stupid.? True or false?

Jamie