[kj] [OT] Magazine and movies

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Thu Feb 19 08:11:30 EST 2009

I don't think that Grace Kelly was ever lovelier than in "Rear Window" (in
fact, that's the film's only flaw, imo - he'd have been too busy interfering
with her to notice what was going on outside), and "Frenzy" has my favourite
Hitchcock script - Shaffer was a genius.

He generally only made crap when he was subject to studio interference,
although even the Selznick-hobbled "Rebecca" has some outstanding moments. I
find it difficult to empathise with a heroine who needs a good hearty slap,
though.

My favourite is "Vertigo" (with "Shadow Of A Doubt", "Psycho", "Strangers On
A Train" & "Rear Window" close behind) , a beautiful film about necrophilia.
But the common factor to his films that draws me to them is the gallows
humour present throughout; his less successful works are for me those which
have less of that.

Really crap Hitchcocks? "Juno & the Paycock", the remake of "Man Who Knew
Too Much" ("Que sera sera" indeed. Pah). "Topaz". Most of "Torn Curtain".

Darren

Hungerford, UK