[kj] (OT) Jane's Addiction at Echoplex in LA Last Night

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Feb 17 18:37:48 EST 2009

Gonna be 'interesting' to see how the NIN / Jane's Addiction shows pan out.

My impressions of last night's NIN gig:

Meh. With the emphasis on the 'eh'.

I TRIED to like NIN. I went to all the effort of stealing Trentnor's
life's work, listening to it on train and plane journeys, walking in to
work and feeling incongruously anti-social (and anachronistic) while
docile passersby passed by, oblivious to the fact that I was listening to
something that sounded like a hardcore remake of the Metropolis soundtrack
(1994 Crack Remix).

...familiarised myself with Pretty Hate Machine (I passed on the 2/3 of
his album collection where he remixes his own stuff
yawn), which I had
never picked up before because of the awful name.

So I was relatively familiar with NIN, at least moreso than previously,
when my appreciation was limited to the Quake soundtrack (sounds like Tool
lite) and "that song that Johnny Cash does better." And Perfect
Drug...which always had me scratching my head as to why it was on such
high rotate. (Surely these guys do better stuff than this?)

The opening band's promo photo looked so shit I didn't even bother
listening to anything online to see what they were like. (This admittedly
renders the rest of my review useless due to extreme prejudice but
hey...just being honest. Don't pretend you're not the same).

NIN - sound quality was mildly mucky, not awful, and probably not their
fault. Smallish crowd for the venue (half to two thirds of the ~10 000
seat venue filled). Good light show, basic but good impact. Overall...some
pretty solid material. A fair bit of it sounds samey to me, and I really
wouldn’t rate them up there with their 90s contemporaries (Soundgarden,
Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Ministry) for impact, depth, breadth, or
range. Anyway, a *relatively* solid gig, but a few things gave away that
it was a phone-in, in a disappointing way. Practically no acknowledgement
of the crowd, no encore, and “this is probably going to be our last show
in New Zealand" quoth Trentnor half-way through, in one of the perhaps two
times he deigned to address the audience. Seemed to fuck half the audience
off, and rightly so. That was it, not "hey this might be the last time I
play here so let's rip shit up." More like..."this is probably the last
time I'm gonna fuck you up the ass, not sure if I can come, anyway, just
thought I'd share...FYI. Now breathe out and clench."

Yeah no worries, thanks for the newsflash, it's certainly gonna be the
last time you get any money from me (I bought 2 tix), and a lot of others
in the crowd like me who have seen better, more considerate bands try to
disguise a phone-in, or dredge up enough energy from the crowd to find
some reason to enjoy being there.

No encore despite most of the crowd giving it heaps for 10 mins, futiley
as the stage was dismantled immediately the black-clad phoners in left.

That was the more objective impression. This is what part of me really
thinks:

Go home and polish your Grammys and play Hurt to yourself on your synth
you never-really-has-been. There's a reason I wasn't into NIN and I'm glad
I had my suspicions confirmed. 80% of their songs sound the same. Sub par
lyrics, predictable anthems for 14-year old sexually ambivalent teens to
half-heartedly self-harm to in the privacy of their bedrooms in between
Evanescence CDs.

Note to self: Don't ever bend over backwards trying to like something you
don't.