[kj] OT: Bill Hicks

Stephen Lawrence stephen.l at live.com
Sun Feb 1 15:58:48 EST 2009

i'm on your side alex in fact i loved the glowsticks comment i burst out laughing i watch what goes on here and no longer comment as like you said people are too uptight and up thier ass here > From: vassifer at earthlink.net> To: gathering at misera.net> Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:44:27 -0500> Subject: Re: [kj] OT: Bill Hicks> > I wasn't referring to YOU when I alluded to Year Zero. "Year Zero" is > shorthand for Punk Rock's myopic scorched earth policy of renouncing > all that came before it.> > Everyone on this list needs to chill the hell out a little bit.> > Alex in NYC> > > > On Jan 31, 2009, at 5:24 PM, iPat wrote:> > > not what i said,> > i never referred to year zero, although i don't really know what you> > mean exactly by that.> >> > My point is that while we can sometimes take ourselves out to> > different genres where one or two finds may be the exception, you will> > generally be disposed to what you initially were turned on by. I may> > have a few 'metal' tracks in my collection but in general im more> > likely to default to where my journey really started, which is> > naturally influenced by the peer group at the time.> >> > For me, where i was in the UK at that time, it was the early 70's> > skinhead music which set me off due to my peers influence. I've never> > worn a rocker style leather jacket synonymous with rock music. The> > status quo rocker scene was the antithesis of my 'culture' and the> > music was abhorrent. That's not to say i don't have the odd early> > AC/DC or Pink Floyd track and you know my feelings on Rush. Whether> > any so called celeb is into a band has no effect on me but can> > titillate others to no end. That's people for you.> >> > I had a branch of industrial music that went off with mainly psychick> > tv but a lot of krautrock' industrial stuff didn't interest me as> > Orbital or Spiral tribe held little interest for Metallica fans. In> > fact my PTV collection is quite large with all the literature that i> > had and i think i will give it a suitable collector. Flat mates at the> > time fcking hated it, unable to understand my hysterics when 'Jesus> > Christ Walks on Water' was blasted out the window on number 10 volume> > control to the neighborhood.> >> > The crux of the matter though, is that the more i experience a wider> > scope of music, i find myself defaulting to the original inspirations.> > Whether you find the same is irrelevant in that you are you and of> > course your experiences will be unique to your disposition. I'll wager> > there is a disposition though. A recent remark on someone on this list> > in private correspondence has also shown him to deferring to his> > Groundhogs, Hawkwind, Todd Rundgren, Peter Green Fleetwood Mac. All of> > which i find completely abhorrent unless i want to pretend to be a> > music snob and pretend there's some intellectual relevance to it.> > there's not, i simply dont get off on it.> >> > It's like gigs, it simply amazes me that i can go to gigs and there's> > never a fight anymore......where are the balls ; )> >> > So whilst you may not agree with it, it is because i am not you as you> > are not me. I'm right though and i blame it on mother.......... : 0> >> > On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net > > > wrote:> >>> >> I never fully subscribed to all that 'Year Zero' stuff. I love lots > >> of> >> metal. I adore Punk Rock. I like an unwieldy dollop of so-called > >> 'classic> >> rock.' I like bits of reggae. I like a lot of dance music. There's > >> more than> >> enough crap that I *don't* like, but at the end of the day, music > >> is music.> >> I'm too old to define myself by any single genre anymore.> >>> >> Henry Rollins of Black Flag, by the way (since they were invoked > >> earlier) is> >> a huge fan of Ted Nugent, Van Halen and Aerosmith.> >>> >> Alex in NYC> > _______________________________________________> > Gathering mailing list> > Gathering at misera.net> > http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering> > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering