[kj] (OT) Avatar

The Mighty TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Wed Dec 30 01:13:14 EST 2009

Got around to seeing it this morning at the local IMAX in 3D.

I echo and agree with a lot of what many people have said about the flick
pro and con. It's an amazing *technological* achievement, beautifully
designed, a real triumph of art and technology at a small expense to story
which has nicked and cobbled together some pretty obvious ideas from well
kown older mainstream sources. Regarding the whole Dances with Lion King
syrupy "circle of life" stuff - it does get a bit annoying and contrived at
times. I was going in expecting close to video game level artificial
looking CGI and that's there in large doses, but about 15 minutes into the
flick, you get lost in the whole thing and it doesn't matter. Seeing it in
3D is a major reason for this. And there's a couple major gaps in the plot
that would have resulted in a pretty abrupt end to the movie (why not just
nuke 'em from orbit?) but oh well.

Still the overall package is a pretty amazing 2 1/2 hour experience. After
seeing it in 3D, I can't imagine seeing it again at least in a theater in
2D. It's be like hearing a full surround film soundtrack in mono.

It's funny, but I was really reminded of the first time I saw the original
Star Wars during it's opening weekend in that the story wasn't really too
original but after seeing it, my impression was that the film itself was a
game-changer. Same to a lesser extent with Jurassic Park. I'm sure a lot
of people in the 30's and 50's thought the same thing about King Kong, The
Wizard Of Oz and/or the Ten Commandments.

I really think the one big thing about this movie is that it will push more
live action films of a wider variety than just CGI sci-fi stuff or gimmicky
horror movies to be presented in 3D in addition to the mainly CGI animated
fare. Avatar proves that there's a big audience who will tolerate sitting
through a long movie wearing those goofy glasses. I think the technology
has a long ways to go, but this is still a major step towards truly
immersive, commonplace 3D moviegoing experience. As the hardware for
filming and exhibition cost drops, it's going to be much like introducing
stereo or multi-channel sound into cinemas in that it will become fairly
mainstream for even low budget independent films.

Another perhaps unexpected benefit for the entertainment industry is 3D is
really a unique form of copyguard in that people who bootleg movies in the
theater with a camcorder just won't get anything usable from the unfiltered
3D image on the screen. But then again, there's always some theaters showing
2D versions of (the) movie so perhaps that point's kinda moot.

I'm holding my breathe for 3D interactive home theater porn right outta
"Brainstorm," the 80's movie with Christopher Walken.

T.B.