[kj] OT: Porcupine Tree fans

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Mon Dec 21 12:07:59 EST 2009

Hey PT fans-

I've been looking for PT analogues, i.e. accomplished playing / songcraft / harmonies without the wankiness of regular prog, i.e. indulgent time signature changes and aimless chord progressions, songs about wizards etc.

I have been directed to both Pineapple Thief and Oceansize, and while I like them both, they are unfulfilling and reminiscint of my college shoegazing days.

Any suggestions for something that is crunchy but still melodic?

Forays into metal are OK (Akercocke comes to mind), but the genre is generally too po-faced to elicit anything other than giggles.

Thanks,

JF