[kj] Quick Joke-spotting

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Wed Aug 26 09:48:10 EDT 2009

This was a clip from a PBS series called "Alive from Off Center" that ran from about 1984 - 87. It was produced by the PBS station in Minneapolis, but featured primarily NYC performance artists and musicians like Laurie Anderson, Ann Magnuson, Bill Irwin and David Byrne. I think Jonathan Demme had something to do with it as well.

This is a weird flashback for me because the show premiered on January 1, 1984 and they really played up the Orwellian angle. I specifically remember watching this clip from my home in rural MN at the age of 17. The show was hosted by Laurie Anderson and she did a duet with Peter Gabriel on the song "Excellent Birds" from the album that came right after "Big Science."

Now I'm all nostalgic...