[kj] Hawkwind Holidays.......

Floren Luke fluke1 at live.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 04:45:06 EDT 2009

17th August 2009

Veteran rock act Hawkwind are spreading their wings in a novel way of bonding with fans - by launching their own holiday service.

Devotees of the space rock act - with whom Motorhead's Lemmy first found fame - will be able to spend a few days away with the group while enjoying cruises, wine-tasting or enjoying a back to nature stay by the beach.

The idea comes as bands increasingly look for different ways to connect with their fanbase as traditional incomes from the music industry dry up.

Hawkwind Holidays has already tested the water by asking fans to submit their preferences through a survey on their website.

So far plans are shaping up over the coming months for a week-long camping stay at France's Grand Dune du Pilat, a five-day stint at a convent in Bordeaux and a cruise along a Norwegian Fjord to catch a view of the aurora borealis.

The idea will be to offer holidays up to four times a year with a range of accommodation to suit the pockets of their fans. The camping break could range from a stay in a tent to a rather more sturdy log cabin.

"It's a bit like a Carry On film, like Carry On Hawkwind," said the band's long-time frontman Dave Brock.

The band's manager Kris Tait said: "We've had this ever-growing fanbase over the years who have brought their children up with the band and in some cases their grandchildren. A lot of people have got married after meeting at their shows and so it is just like a big family community. That's how we got the Hawkfest off the ground - a festival like it used to be in the old days with a great atmosphere and everyone knows each other.

"Dave and I were on a cruise down the Nile and there were only 17 rooms - we had nothing in common with each other and we thought wouldn't it be great to be on a holiday like this when you were surrounded by like-minded people?"

As well as performances by Hawkwind themselves, there may be slots for associated acts such as Huw Lloyd Langton as well as solo performances from the band, guitar workshops and even a chance for the holidaymakers to play. Future cruises may also be arranged around any festival dates the band may line up.