[kj] rebellion?

Karen Weil karen.weil at sddt.com
Tue Aug 11 14:35:37 EDT 2009

Interesting thought. I remember being in former East Germany back in '94 (ancient history now.) Never having been there when it was was the DDR, it was intriguing for me to talk to people who grew up in that system, and their mixed feelings on what was happening in the reunified Germany.
While no one missed the oppression or survelliance, they did have a lot of problems with the crumbling safety net. Having friends who came of age in Western Germany, and ones who grew up in the DDR. Their outlooks and attitudes were so different (at that time, at least), that it was really striking to me.
And, I remember how much of a transformation East Berlin was undergoing; there were new buildings going up everywhere. It definitely seemed as if city leaders and developers were in a big hurry to erase the past.
Given how hideous most of the drab, communist-era architecture was, I couldn't blame them, really.

k.w.
SoCal