[kj] [KJ] kILLING jOKE iN mY gARDEN : vENICE'S rEPORT 31tH oF jULY 2009

Michael Garcia sandstorm_mg at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 16:17:13 EDT 2009

Nice report! Thanks!

Michael
www.thereptilehousesf.com

________________________________
From: Frenchy Frenzy <frenchyfrenzy at killingjoke.fr>
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!) <gathering at misera.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:59:47 AM
Subject: [kj] [KJ] kILLING jOKE iN mY gARDEN : vENICE'S rEPORT 31tH oF jULY 2009

Hi All,

Just a few words about this surreal week-end  at The Venice Airport Festival  with The Joke including Mister Cormac & Mister Chapman.
After a funny wandering in Venice city using the Vaporetto ( WaterBus) and doing every 5 minutes an hilarious video with Jon  named : “2 Gays in Venice part 1” or “2 Gays on The Vaporetto part 2” etc…. we met Cormac at 4 O’clock at the Titian Inn hotel situated 5 mins by walk from the “site”
In fact, you really had the feeling to walk in a suburb small town so quiet for receiving a music festival but anyway we took some photos on the run and had some interesting views from the backside or darkside of Jon ha ha ha  !!!
We were personally welcomed by Mister Coleman himself for what was supposed to be a beautiful day listening to the Joke and finally was more than that…
Of course, we had the feeling that a reduced audience was expected as if we were about to see “Killing Joke in my garden” as I said it to Jaz and we laughed together.
By the way, the good weather was with us even if a lot of humidity was in the air and made it quite suffocative sometimes.
We spent most of the afternoon with the guys talking of everything and laughing as usual and drinking some fresh beers.
There were some other French people ‘Patrick, Dominguo and Arte (a young lady tattooed and pierced) who were surprised of such an easy contact with the group.
I’ve had with Geordie and Reza and Big Paul one of the most laughable moment during backstage.
In fact, Youth was jamming with Big Paul who left his place vacant.
Domingo who is certainly as much a drummer as I am a Soprano vocalist took the sticks and began to “play” drums like a madman while Arte was singing and Patrick was at the “rhythm section with a bottle of beer”
Youth went on playing and they all felt  " honoured "  to play with such a bass player.
It turned to a cacophony and some heavy laughs when Domingo went on playing when the smaill drumkit had felt down !!!
I’ve filmed quite everything and I think I will have to share it on Youtube in the coming weeks ;o))
Time for a soundcheck on the green fields and with the sun behind it’s was strange to see and listen to his fav group as if they were playing in my garden (even if my garden isn’t so big)
The organisator was expecting around 1000 people  (but finally only 500 came for their major headline during those 3 days festival. )
Certainly not  enough advertised and not sign of this event on the official website : no comment
At the end of the soundcheck, Jaz went off the stage and took place in the audience area during “Bloodsport” to listen to the whole sound and Jon was doing some kind of “Moonwalk” behind him ha ha ha  !!!!
After this ,  Jaz and Big Paul did an interview with the guy from Metal Hammer Italy (the same who was at their 2005 gig at The Milano ‘s Rolling Stone another great moment with Raven) during ½ hour and a photo shoot with Geordie.
They all felt very stressless on this warm afternoon.
The night came and the mosquitos too.
Everybody was attacked and we used some stinky citronella but very protectfull.
That was the 1st time Jon was smelling well during the day ;o))
Around 10:30 pm, they began the gig and Jaz was wearing a typical Venice's Carnival White Mask and got a great clap from the audience.
They played as if they were in front of a higher audience but no surprise during the setlist.
During the afternoon we had a long spoke with Jaz & BPF to play some other old tracks and as I was asked to reveal my fav ones,  i answered Twilight of The Mortal and Slipstream.
Both of them agreed about the very melodic aspect of Twilight and who knows ?
Maybe during the coming gigs ?
Between the 28 th oct and 3 rd nov 2009 they will (should ?) play at L'Usine in Geneva and at Les Bains Douches in Paris (only 200 invited people and 200 tickets to sale)
BPF was the 1st surprised when I "annouced it" to him just after a long conversation I had with Jaz.
Apparently, they've lost a lot of money during the last reunion tour...
After the gig Jaz declared it was "time for Cheeses Party" and we began to taste all the ones brought from France with some white and red wines.
The atmosphere was great and very very relaxed.
Many young fans were here and got signatures for their CDs booklets.
I had brought some Cohiba cigars with me and Cormac and Jaz were delighted with them (as I was too of course)
In fact, life was simply beautiful ....
At one moment, Geordie took the bass and played  "Walk on the wild side  " sang by 2 young girls.
Simply unexpected and intense moment (filmed of course ;o)))
Of course we did some photos too.
At 3AM, the group left for his hotel and it was time for us to go back too.
Everything was very well organised and all the people from the organisation were very very nice with everybody.
It was the coolest festival I had ever been on open air and I am sure Cormac & Jon won't disagree.
Simply another proof of how the band can be closed to the gatherers...
Stephane "Frenchy Frenzy"