[kj] Specials

Mike Cooper mike at coopersurf.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 19:25:08 EDT 2009

You know when you see a band and you cannot get it out of your head - you
lose yourself in the buzz, the sound, the sweat - whatever. Last night I
saw the Specials play in Birmingham - didn't get a ticket when they went on
sale despite many in vane attempts - don't ask how much it cost on ebay!
Don't care that Jerry Dammers did not play a part - he wasn't missed! They
were just brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. If you are due to go
- you jammy sods, you are in for a treat of the greatest proportion, if you
didn't - well........ There were 2,000 people moon stomping in unison, the
pubs beforehand were rammed, the atmosphere was sensational, there were some
people who may well be knocking the crap out of each other on a Saturday
afternoon at football dancing together as though nothing else mattered.
They played everything, starting with Do The Dog which is so relevant now
and finishing with "all you skinheads, rude boys, rude girls, put your boots
on your feet........ and everything in between.

One of the great, great shows ever!

Sermon over

For those who remember my dilemma - the Wailers or PJ Harvey!!! Went to the
Wailers - empty, I mean a small half full venue, which was strange, tight,
professional, love the Exodus album, the guy singing was wonderful despite
keeping his hood up for the whole night - enjoyed it a lot and had a good
skank but have this nagging doubt I would have enjoyed PJ that little bit
more!!