[kj] (OT) Dukes remasters

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Tue Apr 21 17:36:57 EDT 2009

My setup copes with SACD and DVD-A. Also high-res 24-bit stereo.

Do you have a surround speaker setup connected to your computer, with
something like PowerDVD or WinDVD? You can experiment yourself.

The Porcupine Tree discs are a fantastic example of how an album can be
mastered in 5.1 and be transcendental. I've heard some 5.1 mixes that are as
gimmicky as (most) quadraphonic releases. The fact that Steven Wilson is
working on King Crimson 5.1 mixes causes me a great deal of excitement. I'd
estimate I have 30 or so surround discs, from Depeche Mode (middling mixes)
to Bjork (petty good mixes) to PT and No-Man (fantastic mixes).

To hear the difference, get someone to play you the re-recorded Philip Glass
"Koyaanisqatsi" in standard CD and SACD and DVD-A. Worlds apart. And then
the Porcupine Tree "Fear Of A Blank Planet" in stereo and then 5.1.

This is badly off-topic even for me (imagine a 5.1 mix of Hosannas! Eurgh!),
so mail me off-list if you have specific questions.

Darren

Hungerford, UK