[kj] OT'ish - Alternative Music Biz Models

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 17:04:25 EDT 2009

This is more of a music biz question...

    Everyone knows how the music biz is desperately trying t ostay afloat (even Jaz has mentioned what sounds like alternative business models).
   So has anyone heard or read anything about "tax credits" as an alternative for funding music/art/movies/etc.?

(the following is written by an economist and I am trying to find
 more music biz-centric comments or articles about alternatives)

"It is easy to envision mechanisms to expand support for creative and artistic work outside the copyright regime. For example, it would be possible to design a modest tax credit for individuals who either support creative work directly or contribute to organizations that support such work. The credit could be modeled after the tax deduction for nonprofits or charities. Even a modest tax credit (e.g., $100 per person) - which taxpayers could allocate to an artist, writer, musician, or film producer of their choice - would likely be sufficient to fund almost all of the work currently supported by the copyright system."

 ~~ Dean Baker http://www.truthout.org/010809K

I'd give KJ my hundred bucks.

'Save me...
  save me from Tomorrow..