[kj] OT: Science question

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 13 20:12:18 EDT 2009

Condoms don't promote promiscuity. Promiscuity has been practiced by a sizeable prooportion of the human for as long as we've been in existence. Unless you can make a solid case that human beings were less promiscuous before the onset of readily available condoms (and the booming populations of third world countries with no contraception would seem to indicate the opposite), then your argument (and the Pope's) is as filmsy as most people believe it is.

Of course, the argument is entirely erroneous and highly dangerous. But then it's not intended to be a carefully considered, logical assertion; it's simply a cynical and merciless attempt to exploit the fears of uneducated Africans and paint the Catholic Church as the only possible saviour from disease. There's no way in hell the Pope would dare make such assertions in a first world country, but he probably figures he can feed the poorly-educated black people any old crap and get away with it.

Jim.