[kj] (OT) Drummers

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 19:47:47 EDT 2009

Since we've changed again, here are my favourite drummers:

*Big Paul Ferguson (obviously)
*Ted Parsons (very different to BPF, but still sounded great with KJ- would have liked to have heard him record an album with them)
*Stephen Perkins (Jane's Addiction; very loose and unusual style)
*Kevin Haskins (Bauhaus/Love & Rockets; he doesn't always stand out, but some of his stuff is fantastic- say 'Bela Lugosi's Dead and 'Terror Couple Kill Colonel')
*Mike Bordin (Faith No More; absolute powerhouse drummer, obviously very influenced by BPF. Would kill for the opportunity to hear him in KJ!)

Since a few others have broken the code of silence and actually mentioned Martin Atkins, I'll confess that at his best he's a fantastic drummer- his material with KJ, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails (and even Murder Inc) is top-notch stuff, but to be honest it's been a long time since I heard him playing to that standard (Damage Manual was pretty ordinary, so is the later Pigface). I'm also not terribly impressed with his drumming in PiL. The drums on Metal Box are generally great, but Atkins only plays on one track (and it's not a great one).

Bill Rieflin used to be a favourite- his work with Ministry is great, and he puts some real power into his performances. Him and Atkins on 'In Case You Didn't...' both sound fantastic. But again, it's been a while since he was that good. His REM material sounds pretty mediocre.

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing).

"Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly.

Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.