[kj] (OT) Spooky events

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 10:09:15 EDT 2009

I wouldn't necessarily describe it as *better* than Murnau's original, although it's definitely one of the few remakes of a bona fide classic that I consider to be as worthwhile or important as the original.

Remaking classics is always tricky. For me, Herzog's achievement with Nosferatu is underlined by John Badham's utterly awful Dracula, another classic remake released the same year as Nosferatu. A by-the-numbers remake of Tod Browning's 1931 Dracula, Badham's film has a decent cast (Frank Langella, Donald Pleasence, Laurence Olivier) but screws up every other aspect of the film. With a total lack of scares or tension, the story becomes a tepid romance built around Langella's smarmy cliched Latino lover Dracula. His vampire doesn't have any teeth and his performance is also utterly toothless. Compared to this, Herzog's Nosferatu is a divine achievement.

Rant over- apologies!

Jim.