[kj] [KJ] OT: Hope this b at stard dies horribly...

folk devil folk.devil at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:32:13 EDT 2009

There was a PBS programme on the magnetic pole shift possibility a while back. Amongst other possibilities.

"..the field could stop weakening and begin to strengthen, or it
could weaken to the point that it suddenly flips polarity—that is, compasses
begin to point to the South Magnetic Pole.

An even older record of Earth's fluctuating field than Shaw refers to shows a
more complicated picture. Ancient lava flows from the Hawaiian Islands reveal
both the strength of the field when the lava cooled and its orientation—the direction of magnetic north and south. "When we go back about 700,000
years," says geologist Mike Fuller of the University of Hawaii, "we find an
incredible phenomenon. Suddenly the rocks are magnetized backwards. Instead of
them being magnetized to the north like today's field, they are magnetized to
the south."

Such a reversal of polarity seems to happen every 250,000 years on average,
making us long overdue for another swap between the north and south magnetic
poles. Scientist Gary Glatzmaier of the University of California at Santa Cruz
has actually observed such reversals, as they occur in computer simulations (view one in See a Reversal).
These virtual events show striking similarities to the current behavior of
Earth's magnetic field and suggest we are about to experience another reversal,
though it will take centuries to unfold."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/about.html