[kj] Danish show "The Kingdom"

Bo Krogsgaard bo.krogsgaard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 03:57:15 EDT 2009

On 4/9/09, Bette Dillinger <bettedillinger at live.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I was worried about that.......and also worried about the translation

> into English. It is fascinating to find out from Bo that the Helmer

> character's cry of "Danish scum" really means "Danish Devils" or "Damned

> Danes". I could figure out something was strange at times just knowing a

> little of my very, very bad, broken Norwegian (though I am making a serious

> comparison between the languages, of course), but that screw up really is

> annoying. It is good to know, though! The puzzle is coming together.....

The English subtitles aren't too bad. The only real stinker is that on my
copy at least, they have translated Søren Pilmark's characters' nickname
("krogen") into English (by calling him Hook). I hate when they do that, but
as for the subtitles themselves, i have seen a lot worse. Most extreme case
would be the Serbian movie Rane, which is quite a harsh little flick. The
Croatian subtitles turned it into a comedy. Brilliant fuckup right there.