[kj] Milan report

Matthew Tibbits matt_tibbits at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 07:57:00 EDT 2008

Although the sound on that clip is totally distorted it does show that Geordie's guitar is way up in the mix this time, which is fantastic news. In recent tours his sound has been muddied by the bass and keyboard background wash. The golden harp needs to be the prominent voice!

From: matt_tibbits at hotmail.comTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:30:35 +0000Subject: Re: [kj] Milan report

Excellent report. Thanks for that! That's cranked up the anticipation level a few notches!! We seem to share similar taste in songs, too. Tomorrow's World, SO36, Unspeakable, Butcher, Fall of Because are all faves of mine along with the more usual suspects. I love the slower, sinister ones just as much as the stompers. Glad your daughter loved it. I love seeing the look on the faces of friends/family watching KJ live for the first time! > Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:20:01 +0200> From: lucasignorelli at alice.it> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] Milan report> > TB ha scritto:> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YftaHMpQ4II> >> > It's horribly clipped due to the volume and I can't for the life of me > > figure out which song it is.> >> > It's a real shame the sound is so horrible, as SO36 was one of the > highlights of a fantastic night.> > Here's some random thought on the Milan show (first night, 19/9 )> > First the obvious question - yes, Big Paul makes all the difference of > the world. His style is simply so personal, his drumming so much "up > there" than you can't help feeling that his presence was sorely missed, > particularly on stage . Which for me is a big personal satisfaction, as > I've always felt KJ needed Paul, and no one else behind the drums (this > includes Dave Grohl). Big Paul is Big Paul, as much as - on a completely > different context - Dave Lombardo is Dave Lombardo.> > The boys look in excellent form, particularly Jaz, which is now back in > a lean & mean top notch shape, very focused, calm, but still with that > unmistakable thing floating behind the surface. He looks younger than > I've ever seen in ages. Geordie suffered some minor technical problem > in Milan (not his fault) that made the start of the show a bit rambling, > but once they were solved, he did the amazing guitar work you've come to > expect from him (I'm really spoiled when it comes to Geordie!). I > hand't seen Youth since that fateful Turin gig back in 1981, so I > can't make comparisons, but live he's simply great. I've already told > about Big Paul - by the way, he looks like he didn't age one single day > since the last time I saw him (1989!). Is there a pattern here?> > The gig was wonderful. The Rolling Stone club (the last time I saw KJ > there was 22 years ago!) was packed, very varied attendance in age, sex > and dressing code. I was there with wife and daughter, and we looked > like an average Italian family who had simply popped in by mistake - I > believe some people was REALLY puzzled seeing me wildly dance for the > entire duration of the gig!> > The song list - oh gawd, where do I start? The idea to play the fist > album and "What's This For" back to back in the order the songs were > recorded (with some minor variation) turned out to have been excellent. > The song form a natural progression that begs to be used live. Opening > grandeur with Requiem, wild (war) dancing with War Dance, two "disco > from hell" moment with Tomorrow's World (what a cool song!) and > Bloodsport, then Complications (with Jaz screaming "Pasta price has gone > up 30%!!!" - everybody laughed), then one of the highlight of the show, > SO36, great, great song (my daughter was all wide eyed at this point). I > noticed that "The Wait" was missing, but I just tought about the > encores, and it was "Primitive feelings, primitive ways" as you may have > guessed.> > The first part of the show has a distinctive happy feeling (albeit > distinctively malignant!) and make for a great warm up. Eighties was the > bridge between the first and the part. This was the moment when memories > of THAT Geneva show in november 1983 (the night they played Eighties > live for the first time - most amazing gig I've ever seen in my life) > came almost unexpected. And with that, memories of Raven (but this is > not the place to talk about this)> > I mentioned Geordie's problem with monitors - by this time he was > starting to get upset, which is always a good thing for his guitar > playing. So I shouldn't have been surprised when "The Fall of Because" > LITERALLY hit me like a ton of bricks right in my neck. My daughter > declares Fall was the greatest moment of the show - I still think the > entire show was the highest moment of the show, but I can see her point. > FoB is simply SCORCHING - deadly stuff, and the introduction to the most > intense sequence of songs world has ever heard. Tension was just > slightly less brutal, but it may have been just me, because at this > point my brain was just gone in a state of complete panic - the next > song, the next song... I've been waiting sooo long to hear it again...> > And the next song came - Unspeakable. When the > wwwwwooooooooooooooohhhhhh of the synth introduction started I wanted to > scream (well, I did scream, but no one heard me). I couldn't get my eyes > of Jaz - he really changes when singing this one. Actually, everyone > changes - it's just like that. When you'll hear it, you'll know why> > After that I was thinking - ok, the Butcher. But I didn't recognize the > intro of the next song, and - knowing that they have brand new stuff > ready - I thought it was a new song thrown in for good measure. But then > Jaz started "WHO TOLD YOU HOW WHO TOLD YOU HOW WHO TOLD YOU HOW". I had > simply forgot about that one! And it was a blast, I had never imagined > it would sound sooo cool live (and so different!). Memories after this > get a bit hazy - maybe it was the non stop dancing, maybe the aftershock > of Unspeakable, don't know. Madness was another highlight (great > singalong by the crowd), as Exit (complete with dog barking!) and Follow > The Leader, which in the years as become far, far harder stuff than what > was recorded in What's This For. And Butcher. Oh boy, Butcher. That's > another one that live goes a million times better.> > Encore time - The Wait (poor, clueless, pitiful Metallica, what DID they > were thinking?), Changes (more singalong), Are You Receiving, Psyche and > then, out of the blue.... Asteroid!!!! At this point even I had problems > keeping the pace, and if they could had "Folks Songs From The Spanish > Inquisition" instead I would have continued dancing nonetheless, so even > a song a bit "different" from the rest of the set was welcome and gave > me a big smile. The crowd was simply mad - they had been sucked into. > Great, great Killing Joke magic, they're the exclusive on that (Sex > Pistols in Turin last June was a great experience, but this is simply on > another level)> > The bottom line? Wonderful gig, the amazing band we've always loved in a > top form, great vibe, great fun, you must not miss it. I know that this > may sound the rants of an old time gatherer (one of the oldest, I'm > being told!) and yes, this is precisely what it is - I'm proud of my > total adoration of these guys and their music. Milan just confirmed all > I've thought about them. And it's no any nostalgia trip. KJ music at its > best works now, and is relevant now as it was 30 years ago - my daughter > is a confirmed techno/electro freak, but she loved every minute of it. > This almost eternal quality (wich is the trademark of all great > artistry) is the most treasured feeling I will take with me when I'll > rememeber this night in Milan.> _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now