[kj] KJ: First Time

Harold Grey hgrey at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 19 20:22:41 EDT 2008

I had been a fan for a few years already, but the first time I saw them in concert was August 1982 at the Peppermint Lounge in NYC. They played two consecutive nights and I went both nights. Bush Tetras opened for them the first night I believe. This was right after Raven had joined the band and the tour that was featured on "HA." As you can imagine the shows were awesome. They opened both nights with The Hum. I love the sound of Geordie's guitar on Revelations. Sounds like it is going in 40 directions at once. Before the gig, I ran into him who was just standing in the crowd watching the Bush Tetras perform. Given that there were no photos on the first three KJ albums, I don't think many folks in the audience could even recognize the members of the band. I followed Geordie downstairs and introduced myself. Talked about the Bush Tetras and I asked about the tour. I also told him how much I liked the dog barking at the start of Exit. I was pretty nervous and felt jabbering like a complete dick. ha ha ha. I have seen the band numerous times since then, most notably at the tiny Loop Lounge in Passaic, NJ, in 1989 before Extremities came out and then at Finsbury Park in London after Extremities came out. I have been playing the demo CD that came with Chaos for Breakfast boxed set. Thanks for the comments on the Peel Sessions. Sounds like a must have for me.

Funny, but last night, I took out the Revelations-era t-shirt I bought at that gig (yes, I have held onto a t-shirt for 26 years) to see if I could still fit into it (barely!) for the upcoming LA gig. My wife had a good laugh.

Harold
San Jose, CA