[kj] Current Fav K.J. song

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Mon Sep 15 12:16:52 EDT 2008

Heh! Wasn't trying to make a pariah out of you; I accept you're not alone in
your view, although I don't remember reading that anyone else prefers OTG to
Hosannas.

Actually, as a result of your post, I've been mowing the lawn with Hosannas
at My Bloody Valentine volumes on my iPod, and it's fucking great! Works
best at earsplitting volume, imo, and for those who object to the song
lengths, there's always that 5-track promo of edited versions. The bassines,
which are too buried at lower volumes, are great too, and I like Ben's
drumming. I think, though, that the full track lengths help the drone aspect
of the album - quite why the infrequent second chord in Invocation is so
exciting, I don't know.

My least favourite album proper is Democracy. Geordie and acoustic guitars?
That's fundamentally wrong. Apart from Aeon (which is superb), I don't
really like any track on the album, and Prozac People is Jaz's worst lyric.
And he's written some stinkers. Can't listen to "Goodbye To The Village"
because of that awful line about rabbit hutches (although otherwise it's a
good song; maybe it's just the way he sings those two words).

I *like* Outside The Gate in large part. Crappy syn-drums and all. The title
track is genuinely exciting to me, even the coda (I'll pretend Geordie's not
playing an acoustic guitar there, so as not to destroy my thesis).

And the more I listen to it, the more I rate the new Metallica. Expunge the
aural diarrhoea that is St Anger and give this one a try. Really. I think
you'll be surprised.

Judas Goat.

Darren
Hungerford, UK