[kj] Current Fav K.J. song

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 14 22:15:13 EDT 2008

Sorry, but:--

For better or worse (my detractors would claim the latter), "Hosannas"
is what brought me to the list. Prior to that I was listening to sludgy,
underground, bleak, DIY hardcore punk (World Burns to Death, Amebix,
Tragedy, Born Dead Icons, The Complications [named after the KJ song!],
Inepsy, etc. And when I heard Hosannas it sounded EXACTLY like what a
lot of the current gloomcore bands were trying to do -- only KJ had
topped a lot of them once again.

The title track of "Hosannas" -- listen to that and then check out
Venom's "Sons of Satan" from the early 80s. And the "This Tribal
Antidote" is so crutily Amebix-ian it blew me away. To me, hearing
"Hosannas" was like a reaffirmation that KJ really could get the grimy,
sludgy, underground hardcore stuff out there if they had to, that their
capabilities and capacities were just awesome, and I impressed it onto
my friends who would have never though anything outside the Discharge
realm of bands was acceptable. It converted a lot of doubters to KJ,
believe it or not. It gained them "street cred," to put it awfully. It
was a strategically wise release for 2006 for KJ. And the art is fantastic.

And "Implosion" is like MOTORHEAD. It was was like KJ were filling out
some blank spots in their repertoire that had been atent, but
unfulfilled, until then. I LOVE Hosannas from the Basements of Hell! I
am proud to have it as a double blue viyl LP with black slipsleeves and
the amazing artwork, etc.

-Oliver