[kj] OT: Question for the Righties

fluke fluke fluke1 at live.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 06:36:47 EDT 2008

I really dont thin that its a good idea having a U.S. President that needs his sentences finished off for him .

*It's come to my attention...........that in the Middle East.........theres errrrr.....been , like a build up of ..............weapons.............Nukes , like...........and after confering with....errrrr my assissatant..........we,ve errrrrr I decided to bomb.....errrrrrrrrrr , I'm like ordering the U.S forces to bomb...................(Someone from the press shouts out Tel Aviv)*

See what problems could arise ?

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:07:20 -0700From: culturevirus at yahoo.comTo: gathering at misera.netSubject: Re: [kj] OT: Question for the Righties

While I see that others have responded already I owe you one myself.

While I will grant you that hesitating may indicate that a person is lying it is not necessarily so. I often tell my girlfriend about my day and I can assure that I don't rattle off a series of events like a prepared speech. Maybe you do, but I don't. I have a friend who I know to be honest and sincere who speaks so haltingly that I finish their sentences for them. And I've lived with a person who was such an accomplished liar that they could create whole personal histories as they rambled on. Megalomaniacs and sociopaths are often very smooth and charismatic, it's part of how they are able to manipulate and harm others. A person who is hesitant in their speech patterns may be lying or it may be the way that they speak.

As I said in my initial post the clip shows Obama as he typically appears when working unscripted. I'm in the US and have followed the race closely over the past several months and have seen many, many clips of Obama speaking. Is he tring to make the best impression possible? Definitely. But that does not necessarily mean that he is lying or being insincere. The problem with video as a medium is that is does not suffer silence gladly. So if you want to provide a thoughtful response to a question you really don't have much time to ponder it before the viewer gets bored and changes the channel. So beginning your statement and building on it haltingly may be the best way to provide a detailed response to a complex question and still work within the restrictions of the medium. Any person who works in the public spotlight these days should know (although many don't seem to) that whatever you say or do is likely to be recorded and put on YouTube. They damned well better think it thru and speak as concisely as possible. And you'd better have a similar answer the next time.
I am culturevirus

?

/