[kj] OT: Scary/horror films vs. "disturbing" movies

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Sep 9 00:03:34 EDT 2008

The imperative "Get off the fuckin road ya fuckin greasy bastard" is
technically the polite (formal) vernacular over here. Reserved for family,
elders, and clergy.

And glad I'm not the only one with personal in-jokes...or psychoses ;)

I sometimes wonder whether secret camera footage taken of me through an
average day would have me committed or not ;)

PS: That line at the end of the Danzig song Alex has on his site has
always been an in-joke with me and my little brother...

AND THERE GOES ANOTHER BARRICADE!

> BAD BOY BUBBY is a classic!

> "god be a useless cunt!"

> i can often be heard in the car, yelling at pedestrians as far as 200m

> away, "get off the fuckin road ya fuckin greasy bastard!!!" ....of

> course i make sure the windows are all up and no-one outside can

> actually hear me, but it cheers me up no end!

> =)

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Brendan <bq at soundgardener.co.nz> wrote:

>> Someone mentioned the film BAD BOY BUBBY (I think) to me recently, not

>> scary as much as disturbing. Weird Aussie flick. I started watching it

>> in

>> an internet cafe and turned it off cos I didn't want to disturb others.

>> It's all up on Youtube in bits.

>> Oh and the same mate mentioned OLD BOY, so I'll have to give that a

>> watch...

>>> I think HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER was one of the first that

>>> bridged the divide between scary versus horror in a more mainstream-y

>>> way than previously. For example, remember the movie _SEVEN_, lauded at

>>> the time, with its Nine Inch Nails, etc. soundtrack, as being one of

>>> the

>>> finest in that kind of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS genre?

>>> You have that type of film, whose prototype might be Hitchcock's PSYCHO

>>> or even Fritz Lang's "M."

>>> Has anyone seen the very good Australian horro movie WOLF CREEK? I

>>> thought it was a fine, new addition to the horror genre, complete with

>>> an anti-charismatic villain a la Leatherface or Freddy Krueger, but it

>>> seemed "fresh" somehow. Some folks complained the first half of WOLF

>>> CREEK was slow and/or boring. But, to me, it was a deliberate,

>>> suspense-building build-up, for the last, truly scary third of the

>>> film.

>>> And then there are just fucking disturbing, unnerving, unsettling

>>> movies, which I heistate to call horror films: Pier Paolo Pasolini's

>>> SALO: THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM from 1974, stull banned in many countries,

>>> after which the director was murdered. Criterion just re-released a box

>>> set of this, which I promptly purchased. This and movies like Jean-Luc

>>> Godard's WEEKEND (which, like WOLF CREEK, has a slow buildup to a

>>> really

>>> disturbing last fourth or so of the movie), or SWEET MOVIE, or some

>>> Japanese movies like OLD BOY, AUDITION, ICHI THE KILLER -- or IN MY

>>> SKIN.... these blur the lines between horror and sheer, unsettling

>>> mindfuck.

>>> Sorry, Leigh, for overlooking your mention of the excellent original

>>> 70s