[kj] Stranglers on Tour

Mike Cooper mike at coopersurf.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 19:02:12 EDT 2008

Hi all,

If you are in two minds about going on the current Stranglers tour GO GO GO
GO!!! It was just brilliant from the off. I saw them a fair bit in the 80's
and once when Hugh had left as a five piece and they were dour so have not
seen them apart from in HMW for nearly 20 years. But this tour is billed as
a Greatest Hits tour and due to Jets health I believe their last - he is 70
now, so it was a real temptation given their last two excellent lps. They
were just brilliant, so brilliant I nearly cried seriously. Baz Warne is a
really good guitarist and singer, Jet managed to play as opposed to the drum
tech who stands in if he is not up to it and got sung too on at least three
occasions. JJ is still great to watch and my fav all time bass player.
Always loved his sound and the way he does that walk and leg thing -
brilliant.

If you are going on the tour don't look below but we got:

Grip, Hanging Around, Peaches, Tank, Sleazy, Five Minutes, walk On By, No
More Heroes, Raven, Duchess, Nuclear Device, Skin Deep, Thrown Away, All of
the Day.., Spectre Of Love, Always The Sun and god knows how many others -
it was relentless classics and I spent the most of it leaping around with
the other 1500+ 40 yo nostalgists there but who cares when everyone just
seemed to be so happy. One of the best gigs I have been to in years and in
terms of old punksters it surpassed the SLF and The Selector tour a coupla
years ago. Roll on the Buzzcocks in Wolvo next year!!